Wednesday 27 February 2013

Book Review: Words of Smiths



Author: Various
Format: Paperback
Language: English
Pages: 122
Price: Rs.200
Publisher: All About Books Global
ISBN Number: 9788192569017

When I find people of my age writing and getting their names in print- I feel encouraged. I hope even all these published writers, and poets did feel the same- once in their lifetime. Any kind of contest is like a lucky draw for me. We send our entries and watch out with great hopes- “I will be selected and I will win.” But few get lucky. So I must congratulate all those who have made it in this contest organized by Wizkonect team.


This collection called “Words of smiths”- presented by wizkonect- showcases poems written by both amateur writers who feel like expressing themselves through the poem format and by seasoned poets. A reasonable reader will understand the differences- but I don’t want to call myself a critic. I will try to say what appealed to me and what did not.

The book has editing flaws, but few of the poems will make you read them again and again. They are like sudden raindrops which will make you intoxicated.  For example- Abhishek Thakkar’s “life is beautiful”- 

“Placid at the center
Witnessing the squall…”

Asmita Sarkar’s “She will wait”- is the story of any woman.  It is quite interesting how young poets are just not talking about things beyond our mental reach- but are voicing the true concern of a woman’s heart. I can still feel that reminding pain which her poem carried. 

Some of the poems I am still to understand and I need to give myself the adequate time for that. Post exams- I will of course go through this book again. 



About the book:

WizKonect introduces “Wordsmith” – a national level poetry contest. First in its own kind, “Wordsmith” works towards bringing Indian poems and poets into limelight. The book "word of smiths" comprises of the best entries of this contest. In the dictionary, the most beautiful word, asides from God and love, is poetry. Poetry is beauty and beauty is endless, therefore, poetry is endlessly beautiful. Magical integration of words which pass on great feelings to the readers. Poetry in India has been emerging and has recently produced some fine performers. Its new and yes, it brings a new light with it. The words that flow out of heart, put down on a piece of paper, bring to you the pensive mood of a pondering mind. India is a land blessed with culture, spirit, literature, knowledge and a lot more.

Submitted by Sireen – who is appearing her final boards this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment